Last week, Greg White, director of the Global Studies Center at Smith College, circulated a request:
I’m keen on finding scholarly or solid journalistic treatments on “adaptation.” It’s an oft-invoked concept, of course… I wonder if people have suggestions for good articles suitable for syllabi — pieces that would bring home the political implications of adaptation and/or the challenges to building resilience.
Here are the responses that Greg compiled, reprinted with permission:
- Adger, Neil, et al., 2007. “Assessment of Adaptation Practices, Options, Constraints and Capacity,” Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of the Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the IPCC, Parry et al., eds., Cambridge.
- Adger, Neil, Irene Lorenzoni and Karen O’Brien, eds., 2009. Adapting to Climate Change: Thresholds, Values, Governance (Cambridge).
- Bierbaum, Rosina, et al., 2012. “A Comprehensive Review of Climate Adaptation in the United States: More than Before, but Less Than Needed,” Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, October.
- Chasek, Pamela S. 2012. “Rethinking the Law and Policy of Protected Areas in a Warming World: Evolving Approaches of American Conservation Organizations,” Journal of International Wildlife Law & Policy, 15:1, 41-59.
- Fraser, Evan D.G., 2007. “Travelling in antique lands: using past famines to develop an adaptability/resilience framework to identify food systems vulnerable to climate change,” Climate Change 83, 495-514, 2007.
- Jamieson, Dale. 2005. “Adaptation, Mitigation, and Justice”. Sinnott-Armstrong, W. and Howarth, R.B. (eds.),Perspectives on Climate Change: Science, Economics, Politics, Ethics. Advances in Economics of Environmental Resources, Vol. 5, 217:248.
- Kolk, Ans, and Jonatan Pinske. 2012. “Addressing the Climate Change—Sustainable Development Nexus: The Role of Multistakeholder Partnerships,” Business Society 51:1.
- Lehmann, Evan, 2012. “POLICY: Ideas to reduce future storm damage include carbon tax, cutting disaster aid.” E&E Daily, Published: Wednesday, December 19, 2012.
- Moser, S. C. 2009. Good Morning America! The Explosive Awakening of the US to Adaptation. Charleston, SC: NOAA and Sacramento, CA: California Energy Commission.
- Moser, Susanne and Julia Ekstrom. 2010. A framework to diagnose barriers to climate change adaptation,PNAS, 107 (51): 22026-22031.
- Moser, Susanne and Maxwell Boykoff, 2013. Successful Adaptation to Climate Change: Linking Science and Policy in a Rapidly Changing World, Routledge.
- Pelling, Mark. 2011. Adaptation to climate change: from resilience to transformation. London and New York: Routledge.
- Pelling, Mark. 2011. “Resilience and Transformation,” in Climate Change and the Crisis of Capitalism: A Chance to Reclaim, Self, Society and Nature, Pelling, Manuel-Navarrete and Redclift, eds., Routledge.
- Rosencranz, Armin, Dilpreet Singh and Jahnavi Pais. 2010. “Climate Change Adaptation, Policies, and Measures in India, Georgetown International Environmental Law Review, 22:3, Spring.
- Smit, Barry and Johanna Wandel. 2006. “Adaptation, Adaptive Capacity and Vulnerability,” Global Environmental Change 16, 282-292.
- Thompson, Allen, and Jeremy Bendik-Keymer, eds. 2012. Ethical Adaptation to Climate Change: Human Virtues of the Future, MIT.
- Turner, B.L., et al. 2003. “A Framework for Vulnerability Analysis in Sustainability Science,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 100: 14, 8074-8079, July.
- US Gov Climate Change Adaptation Task Force, at http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/ceq/initiatives/adaptation
Shannon McNeeley suggested these websites:
Susi Moser suggested these articles:
- The Washington Post, December 14, 2012, The coastal conundrum
- Scientific American, November 14, 2012, US ranchers struggle to adapt to climate change
- The Washington Post, August 4, 2012, Built on sinking ground, Norfolk tries to hold back tide amid sea-level rise
- The New York Times, June 14, 2012, Vast defenses now shielding New Orleans
- The New York Times, May 12, 2012, In Rhode Island, Protecting a shoreline and a lifeline
- ClimateWire (E&E), May 4, 2012, Adaptation: highways, bridges and sewers take an expensive hit from wild weather – study
- The Washington Post, March 18, 2012, As climate changes, Louisiana seeks to lift a highway
- Yale environment 360, February 2, 2012, Florida Counties band together to ready for warming’s effects
- The Washington Post, December 17, 2011, Virginia residents oppose preparations for climate-related sea-level rise
- Scientific American, December 2011, After the Deluge (sub. req.)
- AlterNet, September 9, 2011 (online), September 30 (print), We’re locked into unavoidable climate disruption – so how do we begin to adapt?
- USA Today, August 15, 2011, US cities prepare to adapt to climate change
- Grist Magazine, August 1, 2011, Be unprepared: The GOP war against climate adaptation
- The Economist, November 25, 2010, Facing the consequences
- The Washington Post, October 2010, Last house on sinking Chesapeake Bay island collapses
- Boston Globe, June 6, 2010, Defending Boston from the sea