The thoughtful preparation of Modes of Explanation (May 21-25 in Paris) sets a high bar for conference design:
- All participants will be required to submit either a video of their contribution or a full version of their paper at least three weeks in advance of the event.
- The videos will be published on line and transcripts prepared.
- All papers will similarly published and OCR’d.
- Word clouds will be prepared of each presentation and of each paper designed to show at a glance what the contribution is about.
- Contributions will be gathered into two hour discussion sessions where the panel of discussants are expected to have read and/or watched each other’s contributions.
- Presentations in the sessions will be limited to 5 minutes each so as to maximize the time for interactive discussion.
- All sessions will have their own Wiki site and will be recorded for transcription and future access.
- Attendance at Modes of Explanation will be limited to 80 and discussions are expected to involve not more than two dozen participants each.
Bulleted format is mine; h/t Ray Ison